Meet our featured animal, the Atlantic puffin!
Here are five facts about Atlantic puffins:
- Despite their black and white plumage, puffins are not related to penguins at all. They are members of the Alcidae (auk) family.
- For most of the year, Atlantic puffins live on the open ocean.
- Diving as deep as 60 m (200 ft.), they swim by flapping their wings as if flying through the water and use their feet to steer.
- Atlantic puffins are excellent fliers. Flapping their wings at up to 400 beats per minute, puffins can reach speeds of 88 km/h (55mph).
- When a puffin is around 3-5 years old, it will choose a partner at sea to mate with for life.