Meet our featured animal: the Indian rhinoceros!
Here are five fun facts about Indian rhinos:
- The single horn on the Indian rhinoceros distinguishes it from its African counterparts, who all have two horns. Consequently, the Indian rhinoceros is also referred to as the Great One-Horned Rhinoceros
- Weighing up to 2200 kg (4800 lb.), Indian rhinos graze in flood plain areas in Northern India and Nepal.
- Indian rhinos have lips that are specially adapted to grasp the grass they eat (also known as prehensile lips).
- They are considered to be good swimmers and sometimes eat the aquatic plants they encounter.
- Rhinoceroses have poor eye sight. However, they make up for it with their exceptional hearing and sense of smell.
Learn more at our Indian rhino facts page.