Meet our featured animal, the green anaconda!
Here are five facts about green anacondas:
- The green anaconda is one of the longest snakes in the world. It is also the heaviest.
- The green anaconda is native to South America, making its home in swamps, marshes and streams.
- Although they use both sight and smell to hunt, green anacondas also have the ability to sense heat emitted by potential prey.
- Anacondas are not venomous; they use constriction instead to subdue their prey.
- For larger prey, the green anaconda can unhinge its jaw to stretch its mouth around the body, consuming the carcass whole.