Meet our featured animal, the short-beaked echidna!
Here are five fun facts about echidnas:
- Baby echidnas are called puggles! [Check out this adorable puggle from the Taronga Western Plains Zoo.]
- Echidnas are monotremes, or mammals that lay eggs.
- Their long spines are made of keratin, the same material that makes up our fingernails.
- The echidna’s pointy snout can sense electrical signals from insect bodies.
- Echidnas do not have teeth, but they do have horny pads in their mouths and on the back of their tongues which grind the prey.